Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pleasure For Your Ears

Artist: Rilo Kiley.  Album: More Adventurous.  Rating: (1 to 5 stars) 5



http://www.amazon.com/More-Adventurous-Rilo-Kiley/dp/B0002M5T7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top


It has been a long time for me. A long time since I popped a cd in my computer or car and was blown away. I have a lot of artists I like, but not necessarily in love with. My record was taken away by this cd. I put it in and listened to it three times straight. Yes, it's that good.
I won't add much to the biography of the band in this review. If you're familiar with Rilo Kiley or Jenny Lewis at all, then you know all about them, hers and Sennett's acting careers, their relationship, her solo career, etc. So let's just focus on the music. Probably the majority of people who were exposed to the band heard the song "Portions For Foxes" on Grey's Anatomy. But their music was used on The O.C. and Dawson's Creek as well. Uh oh, TV music. How good could it be?

Well, please don't let that throw you. This is a very talented band. Jenny Lewis' voice is amazing. She can belt it out, or croon. Either way she catches your attention and keeps you enthralled. Also Sennett's guitar work is fun as well. He's a talented musician and a good song writer to boot. The album moves along at a nice pace. The first song, "It's a Hit" is rocking and the second song, "Does He Love You" is truly heartbreaking. The third song "Portions For Foxes" is fun too.
Is this a perfect record? Not perfect. But pretty amazing for how it avoids duds. I mean there is not a weak track on it. Maybe "Ripcord"? And that's not even bad, just sticks out because the production sounds different. The music ranges from indie rock to a country sound. And by country sound, I don't mean Taylor Swift pop country. And I also don't mean bluegrass. More like the country sound Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has attained. This album would never be mistaken for mainstream radio music. But maybe that's a shame all in itself.

 So there you go. If you've never had the chance to hear Rilo Kiley, now's the time. The music and production are great and the lyrics and musicianship are all top notch. I will go out on a limb and say this cd is going to be on my list of my favorite top 25 albums of all time. And this will be in the top 5 of that. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly to Your Mouth and the Environment!

What:  Tom's of Maine Toothbrush Type: Soft Bristles 4 count Price:  $11.99 Rating: 5.0 Tom's of Maine is an awesome company. ...